Friday, July 1, 2011

Dia del Saint Jean!

Well I am done with my first week of school! It was great, but I am looking forward to not having to go to school this weekend! Being at a school in another language makes you twice as tired than usual.... because you have to work twice as hard! After the first day of school where I was asked a million questions it seemed to be pretty normal. I started to get to know the students in my class, and I could talk to them, but not very well. Then on Thursday my host mother had to work in the morning and could not pick me up at school until later, and I met some new friends. After school on Thursday I was waiting for a teacher who would tell me where to stay while I was waiting for my mom, and when the teacher came there were three girls with her. The teacher asked the three girls if they would stay with me... and they did! We ate lunch with the little kids that have school all day, and we talked a lot! They also explained more about what was going to happen the next day (Friday). This is what they explained to me: because the school is named Saint Jean, the school celebrates Saint Jean day (24th of June), and tomorrow (Friday) all the students are supposed to go to the field (which is not at the same place as the school) to play games, eat, and just hang out.

Me sitting on the edge of the field

Me and one of my new friends Marina

Me and another of my new friends Sol
After my new friends explained this to me, they invited me to go with them. Since I don't have many friends I said yes... and what a good idea it was! We met up this morning at the school, and we all took the public bus together (which I hadn't done yet!). When we arrived at the field it was so cold! Everyone had on hats, gloves, winter coats, and scarves!  To warm up we ate some breakfast, and played volleyball. My team for volleyball only had three people on it, so of course we lost :)    but we had fun. Then we played "monkey in the middle" with a soccer (footbol) ball, which I enjoyed very much. Being around so many students at once was confusing... but I think it helped my spanish!

At the end of the festivities the director of the school talked to all the older students about Saint Jean Day. He also thought it was a good time to introduce me! I stood up in front of the whole school while the director talked about intercultural exchange, how I am from the U.S., and that he wants students from Saint Jean to go on exchange! It was quite awkward :p

Tonight I am going to the movies with some family friends, and this weekend I am going to get to see more of Buenos Aires! I'm so excited!

Chau!
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment